So, how much traffic are you driving to your blog?
Now, in order to have a blog that produces a massive amount of traffic for your business and then turning that traffic into a massive amount of traffic, you need to promote it.
1. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- In order for the major search engines to know that your blog exists, you need to get it indexed by adding your RSS feed to your search engine accounts.
- Install the All in One SEO Pack plugin and use it to add title, description and keywords for your blog, posts and pages.
- In your back office, change the permalink settings for your blog posts from the url that includes the number to the one that includes the blog post title.
- Where relevant, link your posts to your other blog posts as well as the other sites in your niche.
2. Blog Communities
- Submit your blog to good blog communities. Google will index your blog as these communities have good search engine rankings. And you will start getting followers.
3. Blog Directories
- Submit your blog to blog directories in the relevant category(ies). This is very powerful, it’s like being listed in the yellow pages. The more places that you have your blog listed in, the more places people will find your blog in!
- Technorati is a leading blog directory which indexes millions of blog posts in real time. It will definitely get your blog indexed. However, it can take quite some time before your blog gets listed in their directory and indexed. Don’t get discouraged though as the wait will be worth it in the long run.
- ChangeDetection gives you the opportunity to have your blog listed in their public directory if you choose that over their private directory. Your blog will then be published in the news section. Any changes to your blog will be picked up by the search engines and get indexed.
4. Website Check and Stats Sites
- When you check your blog stats on these sites, your blog information will be stored and this will help your blog to get indexed as most of them have good search engine rankings.
5. Feed Directories
- Submit your RSS feed to feed directories such as FeedAdage and OctoFinder. Thereafter, they will keep track of your newly published posts and index them on their sites. When people click on your blog post title on these sites, they will be redirected to your original blog post – sending you free traffic!
6. Pinging Sites
- Pinging is a very important step if you are serious about grabbing the top positions on the search engines with your content. It’s an easy way used to let the search engines know that you have published something new on your blog so that they can check it out. Also, ping every piece of content you publish such as articles, press releases, podcasts and so on.
7. Social Media Sites
- When registering your accounts on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube etc., use your blog name as your username in order to get your blog indexed quickly.
- Share your new blog posts on all socia media sites and ask for comments and retweets — more comments mean higher Google ranking.
8. Social Bookmarking Sites
- Share your content with millions of readers online by submitting your newly published blog posts to social bookmarking sites.
- You can use a service that allows you to submit your new blog posts to multiple social bookmarking sites across the web at a touch of a button.
- It’s important to use appropriate keywords or tags for your bookmarks.
9. Blog Broadcasts
- Broadcast your new blog posts to your subscribers and ask them to comment and share. Top tip: end your broadcasts with a question and invite your subscribers to respond by leaving you comments.
10. Content Is King
- The above strategies will mean nothing if you don’t post good content regularly — following these tips will just be a waste of time. You don’t want to drive traffic to a blog without enough valuable content, do you? The key is to remain consistent with your blog posts so that people can keep coming back to your blog to read more.